[CLUE-Talk] easiest distro to install

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Mon Aug 18 09:47:08 MDT 2003

Too bad Corel is off the map.  Not only was their distro 'tech-free' and
highly buffed, it included a mini-version of Partition Magic.  Try
www.xandros.com to see where Corel Linux has gone.  Sadly, no $0
version, so it'll cost you $40 or $100.  Still not bad for tech-free.

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us] On Behalf Of bof
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 7:25 AM
To: clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Talk] easiest distro to install

Dennis J Perkins wrote:

>I was asked which distro is easiest to install.  I'm told Mandrake is
>one of
>the easiest but I don't know how easy it is for a non-techie to
install.  He
>doesn't want any technical questions.  Is there a distro that doesn't
ask about
>partitions, etc?

I am not sure if some of the technical questions can be avoided
altogether, but Red Hat 9 seems to do a pretty good job in smoothing out

the process if the "workstation" option is chosen.  I

It will allow automatic partitioning of the hard drive, and does a
decent job of probing for hardware. I believe that the installer will
still have to know what IP address to use if not using the DHCP option
(and will still need to know their gateway and DNS server address), and
may have to know the name, scan/ refresh and display info for the
monitor, as well as the soundcard info. This sort of stuff is no
different that what the installer will need to know under Windows. I
would think that if they can install Windows, they can do Red Hat.

I would, however, suggest first taking the time to check the hardware
compatibility list at Red Hat to insure that there is nothing that will
trip up the installation.

BOF

Unsubscribe or manage your options: