[CLUE-Talk] easiest distro to install

bof bof at pcisys.net
Mon Aug 18 08:25:12 MDT 2003

Dennis J Perkins wrote:

>I was asked which distro is easiest to install.  I'm told Mandrake is one of
>the easiest but I don't know how easy it is for a non-techie to install.  He
>doesn't want any technical questions.  Is there a distro that doesn't ask about
>partitions, etc?

I am not sure if some of the technical questions can be avoided
altogether, but Red Hat 9 seems to do a pretty good job in smoothing out
the process if the "workstation" option is chosen.  I

It will allow automatic partitioning of the hard drive, and does a
decent job of probing for hardware. I believe that the installer will
still have to know what IP address to use if not using the DHCP option
(and will still need to know their gateway and DNS server address), and
may have to know the name, scan/ refresh and display info for the
monitor, as well as the soundcard info. This sort of stuff is no
different that what the installer will need to know under Windows. I
would think that if they can install Windows, they can do Red Hat.

I would, however, suggest first taking the time to check the hardware
compatibility list at Red Hat to insure that there is nothing that will
trip up the installation.

BOF