[CLUE-Talk] Computer Security: protecting the little guy or monopolies?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Mon Aug 18 16:37:13 MDT 2003

Take a a look at this:

The Sad Tale of a Security Whistleblower
Federal prosecutors in California went too far when they put a man in
prison for disclosing a website security hole to the people at risk from
it.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/179

Imagine going to jail for telling someone your door is unlocked.  Just
another case of stupidity here, but someone got hurt for being a good
Samaritan.  Should we adopt a Good Cyber-Samaritan law for this type of
behaviors?  What do you all think? Should we band together to talk with
our representatives?

Kevin