[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft runs linux

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Mon Aug 18 17:55:04 MDT 2003

Charles Oriez wrote:
> An outfit called netcraft has a tool that tells you what any site is
> running on their web server.  Check out what OS Microsoft is running
> their web server on :-)
>
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.microsoft.com
>
> Guess they have the same reliability issues the rest of us do
>
> This outfit is my source when I tell people that Apache has IIS beat
> when it comes to installed base numbers. They run monthly analysis based
> on an extremely high number of web hosts.  Last I looked they put
> Apache's installed base somewhere around 70% and IIS somewhere around 20%.

yeah, but if you look, it's IIS/6.0 on Linux. how? firewall, or proxy,
or load balancer or whatever. if you read the netcraft faq it'll tell
you this. so all the real servers behind the scenes are running win2k3
server but the point man is running linux. kinda explains the crappy
uptimes (which are probably from the servers behind the
firewall/loadbalancer).

-Evan