[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft runs linux

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Mon Aug 18 17:11:27 MDT 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 04:46 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 10:45, Charles Oriez wrote:
> > An outfit called netcraft has a tool that tells you what any site is
> > running on their web server.  Check out what OS Microsoft is running
> > their web server on :-)
> >
> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.microsoft.com
>
> Yeah, but if you look at the results, you can tell something's not quite
> right:
>
> "The site www.microsoft.com is running Microsoft-IIS/6.0 on Linux."
>
> Uh-huh.

For those of you do not know about Netcraft, you may wish to use more often if
you buy online. One interesting thing that escapes notice is that almost all
of the stolen CC's are from IIS equiped systems.
So, before anybody screams that there are so many more MS systems, go look at
netcraft's survey. It will show that Apache pretty much owns http.
As to https, I think that it is about 50/30/20 with IIS having 50%.
So for 1/2 of the https server having nearly 100% of CC thefts, is a very bad
average.
So I check the site prior to buying.
You can use Netcraft, or if you use konqi, you can use
menu bar->view->Document Info
(that one is funny to see some of the comments that ppl insert such as at
slashdot).

> One notable recent convert is Best Buy -- I've had numerous problems
> trying to order things online through Best Buy's Web site during the
> holiday season, and about six months ago they were still running on NT
> and IIS -- now they're running Linux, though it looks as though they're
> using Akamai as well.
>
> Zonker

Some are rather interesting. Check out Walmart and be sure to check the faq.
They are actually running Apache on Linux. What is funny is that Walmart is
quietly switching to Linux in house(or have done so).
The longer that they can run it, before their competitors switch, the higher
the income to pay for the switch and profits. In fact, that is the same
approach that Walmart used when switching to MS back in the early 90's.

--
cheers
g.r.r.