[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft incompetence of negligence?

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Sun Aug 24 18:29:48 MDT 2003

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html

This is an interesting article on the fact that says Windows is insecure
by design.  While it can be argued that Windows users are responsible
for applying patches, it can also be argued that it should not be
necessary to apply so many patches, and on a nearly daily basis.
 Besides, patches should be tested before applying them to a network of
computers.  I suspect companies are starting to consider suing Microsoft
after these last two weeks.  Never mind that the license says MS is only
responsible for replacing defective CDs.  Microsoft has cost companies
millions or billions of dollars in labor, lost sales, etc, because of
the problems inherent in thier products.

It might also spur legislation limiting how much software companies can
avoid liability.  This is unfortunate.  Hopefully such legislation will
be balanced because the truth is that it is very difficult to remove all
bugs from software.  Maybe software can be rated on the basis of its
history, since it is impossible to rate it on bugs that have yet to be
discovered.  But those bugs should give some indication to the quality
of that software.

And maybe the govt should also mandate that any software it buys adheres
to certain accepted open standards.  I'm not saying it needs to create
the standards.  But I think that even MS would be forced to adhere to
open standards or lose a lot of business.  And companies that deal with
the govt would also want those standards.  It could be a chain reaction.
Most of Micrsoft's profits in software come from its operating systems
and Office.  Document and communication protocol standards weaken that
monopoly.