[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft incompetence of negligence?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Sun Aug 24 21:41:25 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 18:29, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> This is an interesting article on the fact that says Windows is insecure
> by design.  While it can be argued that Windows users are responsible
> for applying patches, it can also be argued that it should not be
> necessary to apply so many patches, and on a nearly daily basis.

Sys admins should be responsible as applying as many patches as
necessary -- but expecting home users to apply patches for an OS that's
supposed to be "simple and easy to use" is asking a bit much, IMHO. I
have no sympathy whatsoever for an NT admin who gets nailed by a Windows
virus/worm/trojan when the patch has been available for some time -- but
the home user who only turns on their computer three times a week to
check for e-mail from their grandchildren or to use TurboTax... that's a
bit much.

>  Besides, patches should be tested before applying them to a network of
> computers.  I suspect companies are starting to consider suing Microsoft
> after these last two weeks.  Never mind that the license says MS is only
> responsible for replacing defective CDs.  Microsoft has cost companies
> millions or billions of dollars in labor, lost sales, etc, because of
> the problems inherent in thier products.

What about the government? Our Department of Homeland Security has
standardized on Windows -- which is simply mind-boggling.

> And maybe the govt should also mandate that any software it buys adheres
> to certain accepted open standards.  I'm not saying it needs to create
> the standards.  But I think that even MS would be forced to adhere to
> open standards or lose a lot of business.  And companies that deal with
> the govt would also want those standards.  It could be a chain reaction.
> Most of Micrsoft's profits in software come from its operating systems
> and Office.  Document and communication protocol standards weaken that
> monopoly.

After this week's fiasco, IT managers who buy Microsoft should be
summarily fired. Period.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier