[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft incompetence of negligence?

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Mon Aug 25 00:43:45 MDT 2003

On Sunday 24 August 2003 06:29 pm, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html
>
> This is an interesting article on the fact that says Windows is insecure
> by design.
That was actually acknowledged by Balmer at the monopoly trial.
So little time, so much forgotten.

> I suspect companies are starting to consider suing Microsoft
> after these last two weeks.  Never mind that the license says MS is only
> responsible for replacing defective CDs.  Microsoft has cost companies
> millions or billions of dollars in labor, lost sales, etc, because of
> the problems inherent in thier products.

With the current admin and laws, zero chance of getting anything.
To be honest, it is these companies fault. What should be happening is that
CEO's should be firing CIO's that push this crap. They will not be.

> It might also spur legislation limiting how much software companies can
> avoid liability.  This is unfortunate.  Hopefully such legislation will
> be balanced because the truth is that it is very difficult to remove all
> bugs from software.  Maybe software can be rated on the basis of its
> history, since it is impossible to rate it on bugs that have yet to be
> discovered.  But those bugs should give some indication to the quality
> of that software.

Zero chance of this as well. To be honest, I am happy about that. The more
that MS is a f*** up the better it is for us. And you can count on MS being
nothing but a F*** up for the year (hopefully longer).

> And maybe the govt should also mandate that any software it buys adheres
> to certain accepted open standards.  I'm not saying it needs to create
> the standards.  But I think that even MS would be forced to adhere to
> open standards or lose a lot of business.  And companies that deal with
> the govt would also want those standards.  It could be a chain reaction.
> Most of Micrsoft's profits in software come from its operating systems
> and Office.  Document and communication protocol standards weaken that
> monopoly.

This will not happen. First, this admin is heavily indebted to gates/MS. Loads
of contributions.  I also think that ppl like Bush/Owens should not be
attached between  gates' front pockets, but that is the way some politicians
operate.
But to be honest, I would not want to see it. There are far too many laws that
are passed to say buy this or buy that. There is so much pork and nepotism
that it is killing our country.

If you really want to do something, start a business folks. I have been
pushing it. I am in a company that is selling Linux systems and I would love
to hear of others that move into it as well. Preferably in other markets.
Calls are coming just due to Ernie Ball's article and now this. In about 1-2
more weeks, it should be coming out that the black out was caused by an alarm
system be taken out of commision; guess why.

Folks, we have had a bad 4 years here in colorado. Rather than see many of you
move out of technology, move into taking over it. There is a huge amount of
Win95/98/me stuff out there. Use win4lin to make your customers life easier.

Likewise, their is vmware for some MS useage or you can do terminal server.
Their are nice ways to do this folks. Please, jump on it now.

BTW, we may wish to invite some suits types into the meetings to pay
attention. Likewise, if you have ideas, see where you can take them.

--
cheers
g.r.r.