[CLUE-Talk] More lies? [Fwd: Iraq - 9/11 connection]

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Dec 16 17:11:32 MST 2003

* Randy Arabie (randy at arabie.org) wrote:
> Quoting black at galaxy.silvren.com:
>
>  [ snip ]
>
> > Perhaps someone can help out, but I have no idea of what it even
> > symbolizes. Saddam's capture really doesn't appear to make any significant
> > difference to getting Iraq on its feet, bolstering world relations between
> > countries, easing tensions in the area, providing any kind of WMD
> > information, or even helping Bush in reelection.
> >
> > His capture certainly doesn't make me feel any safer or give me any kind
> > of cathartic closure. I'm glad that he's been caught so that sometime in
> > the next several years he can be tried for his crimes, but otherwise
> > Saddam's capture is without real consequence.
> >
> > I will of course be eating crow if Saddam's capture does provide us with
> > key information or help get Iraq going again, but call me jaded - I just
> > don't see it happening.
>
> Dismantling the Saddam's supporters and the insurgents would "help get Iraq
> going again."
>
>  http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20031216_1279.html

[snip quotes]

> But one wonders...

I think it would be quite nice if Saddam's capture turns out to hurt the
insurgents.  I initially didn't think it would make any difference.  But
now there is the *possibility* that it has, which would be nice.  But I
will wait and see: it would behoove the Pentagon to make it seem that
Saddam was leading a rebel army, even if he wasn't.  And our press has
lost the ability to question anything they are told by the government, so
I am going to have to see more convincing, verifiable evidence before I
believe that Saddam was still directing things.

I also read an article from some folks in Israel that are speculating
that Saddam was actually a prisoner when we got him, which is also
interesting.

But we need more information to have any idea if Saddam's capture was
useful.  There was talk of 'papers.'  I want to know what these were.
Did Saddam have a typewriter or a laptop in his hole, sending written
dispatches to fellow Ba'athists?  I have read that it was not even
possible to leave the hole from the inside -- it was closed off, and
someone on the outside had to let him out.  Did he go into this farm
house, and direct insurgents from there?  Just how long was in the
hole?

Lots of questions.  So while it is great that a nasty dictator is now
in prison, awaiting trial, it is less then clear that it means all is
now going to be OK in Iraq.  Of course, there is also the question of
what kind of trial he gets, but that is another issue.

Here is the Israeli article:

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=743

Tim