[CLUE-Talk] Do I have a bad tape?

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sat Dec 20 21:52:06 MST 2003

OK.

Sort of a long story.  But, I have an HP Colorado 5 GB tape drive.  In 2.2
kernels, I used the ide-tape module.  This module became broken / unsupported
in 2.4 and then (I think subsequently fixed).  However, in 2.4 I switched to
using the scsi-ide module instead.

I have neglected backups for a while after moving my development server to
RHAT 9.

On system boot, the drive normally would fire up and load the tape.  I no
longer observe this loading.  I hear the drive click when I load my tape as
if the drive is trying to load the tape.

dmesg reports:

hdd: attached ide-tape driver.
ide-tape: hdd <-> ht0: HP COLORADO 5GB rev 2.04
ide-tape: hdd: overriding capabilities->speed (assuming 650KB/sec)
ide-tape: hdd: overriding capabilities->max_speed (assuming 650KB/sec)
ide-tape: hdd <-> ht0: 650KBps, 16*32kB buffer, 6336kB pipeline, 100ms tDSC,
DMA
ide-tape: Block location is unknown to the tape

Hmm - Block location is unknown to the tape.

I then tried to use both the ide-tape and scsi-ide drivers and issue a rewind
command via 'mt'.  I either get (see below for commands)

ide-tape --> Device or resource busy
scsi-ide --> Input/output error

Both drivers seem to recognize the drive and it reports its information
correctly.

Do I have a bad tape?  What else might cause these errors?

Thanks,
Jeff

-- ide-tape ---
# /sbin/insmod ide-tape
# mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
/dev/ht0: Device or resource busy

# dmesg | tail -3
ide-tape: Block location is unknown to the tape
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  0, key =  3, asc = 52, ascq =  0
ide-tape: ht0: drive not ready

# /sbin/rmmod ide-tape

--- scsi ide ---
# /sbin/insmod scsi_mod
Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o
[root at jumanji root]# /sbin/insmod ide-scsi
Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.o
[root at jumanji root]#  mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
/dev/st0: Input/output error

# dmesg | tail -10
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
hdd: attached ide-scsi driver.
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: HP        Model: COLORADO 5GB      Rev: 2.04
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20030406, bufsize 32768, max init. bufs 4, s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

--
http://isuma.org/