[CLUE-Talk] Sure its 'Not About Oil' was: Why Iraq? Why now?

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Wed Feb 5 09:46:38 MST 2003

On Wednesday,  5 February 2003 at  8:28:04 -0700, David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:
> Jeffery Cann wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >To summarize my point:
> >1) I highly value the sanctity of human life - based on religious beliefs.
> >2) Violence or wars to resolve conflicts is against my beliefs - it
> >violates this sanctity.
> >3) Collateral damage, as you called it in order to prevent more / future
> >deaths is not justified.  Even the term 'collateral damage' is terrible -
> >it disregards the importance of human life.  What happens when one of our
> >family members happens to be one of the collaterally damaged?  How would
> >their death be right in the name of peace?
>
> I don't think Jeff is a pacifist.  There is a concept, in philosophy,
> called "just war theory".  It is similar to self defense on a national
> level.  Sometimes war is what must be done.  Sanctity of life is the
> foundation of just war theory.

When I made that assumption I asked Jeff if it was correct.  If he is
not a pacifist, then I retract my assumption.

I don't disagree with the "just war theory".

From http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/j/justwar.htm:

The principles of the justice of war are commonly held to be: having
just cause, being declared by a proper authority, possessing right
intention, having a reasonable chance of success, and the end being
proportional to the means used.

Jeff himself stated that he fundamentally disagree's with the
general premise to use violence/war to end the real or perceived
threat of Saddam Hussein.

By that statement, I understand that even if the threat posed by Saddam
Hussein is real, Jeff would be opposed to the use of violence or war.

That doesn't jive with the "just war theory".  According to Jeff, no war
is just...Not even WWII.

Jeff, please correct me if my interpretation of your position is wrong.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/