[CLUE-Talk] Sure its 'Not About Oil' was: Why Iraq? Why now?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Wed Feb 5 10:02:21 MST 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 08:28 am, David Anselmi wrote:

> I don't think Jeff is a pacifist.  There is a concept, in philosophy,
> called "just war theory".

I haven't explored this enough to know whether I fall into this idea or not.
As Zonker and Randy have pointed out, self-defense is an issue but I cannot
seem to explain my views clearly enough for this consideration.

I'm operating under the definition of a pacifist (#1)

Main Entry: pac*i*fism
Pronunciation: 'pa-s&-"fi-z&m
 Function: noun
 Etymology: French pacifisme, from pacifique pacific
 Date: 1902
 1 : opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes;
  specifically : refusal to bear arms on moral or religious grounds
 2 : an attitude or policy of nonresistance

There are certainly differening philosophies of pacifism and non-violence and
so it's difficult to lump them together without misrepresentation.

Jeff

--
    planet earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/