[CLUE-Talk] Sure its 'Not About Oil' was: Why Iraq? Why now?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Feb 5 20:21:56 MST 2003

* Jeffery Cann (fabian at jefferycann.com) wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 08:28 am, David Anselmi wrote:
>
> > I don't think Jeff is a pacifist.  There is a concept, in philosophy,
> > called "just war theory".
>
> I haven't explored this enough to know whether I fall into this idea or not.
> As Zonker and Randy have pointed out, self-defense is an issue but I cannot
> seem to explain my views clearly enough for this consideration.
>
> I'm operating under the definition of a pacifist (#1)
>
> Main Entry: pac*i*fism
> Pronunciation: 'pa-s&-"fi-z&m
>  Function: noun
>  Etymology: French pacifisme, from pacifique pacific
>  Date: 1902
>  1 : opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes;
>   specifically : refusal to bear arms on moral or religious grounds
>  2 : an attitude or policy of nonresistance
>
> There are certainly differening philosophies of pacifism and non-violence and
> so it's difficult to lump them together without misrepresentation.

These views sound outlandish to some, especially when you view them
in light of self-defense.  Practical or not, it is worth considering the
kind of view expressed by Jesus or Hindu philosophy:

If I am being threatened with violence, say a man is threatening to kill
me.  If I respond with force to stop him, thus attacking him, I harm
*myself* (my karma, or my eternal soul).  This harm done *to myself* is
greater than the harm he could do to *me.*  Thus, it does not make any
sense to defend oneself in that situation.  To commit an act of violence
is to stain forever that part of you which is eternal.

This all hinges on there being some form of an afterlife (heaven,
reincarnation).  I like the philosophy, but my trouble is I don't
believe there is an afterlife, and then the philosophy falls apart.

That being said, if you do believe in the teachings of Jesus, or the
writings in the Bahagavad Gita, then you need to seriously consider
if violence is justified in your professed world view.  Warriors could
very well be barred from entering heaven, or be reincarnated as dung
beetles, regardless of whether or not the war was just.

Food for thought.

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==