[CLUE-Talk] Sure its 'Not About Oil' was: Why Iraq? Why now?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Feb 6 08:29:40 MST 2003

Timothy C. Klein wrote:
[...]
> If I am being threatened with violence, say a man is threatening to kill
> me.  If I respond with force to stop him, thus attacking him, I harm
> *myself* (my karma, or my eternal soul).  This harm done *to myself* is
> greater than the harm he could do to *me.*  Thus, it does not make any
> sense to defend oneself in that situation.  To commit an act of violence
> is to stain forever that part of you which is eternal.

This is *not* what the Catholic Church teaches.  I'm sure you could find
some Christian sects that do.

In this circumstance, it might be an act of charity to allow yourself to
be killed.  But suppose the man is threatening to kill your child.  As a
father you have a duty to protect your child by whatever means
necessary.  Not to do so is (objectively) a mortal sin.

Dave