[CLUE-Talk] Linux Laptops

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Feb 10 12:54:07 MST 2003

I'm not having much luck shopping around, so I thought I'd touch
base with the CLUE talk list to see if anyone had suggestsions.

I'm trying to find a decent laptop to run Linux, and not having
a great deal of success...

I'm aware of QLI's laptops, but none of their offerings really excite
me. I like the Apple line of PowerBooks, but they're so overpriced,
it's ridiculous.

Here's what I'm looking for:

* At least 256MB of RAM, upgradeable to 512 or more.

* Solid construction.

* 1024x768 resolution or better.

* 14" or 15" screen.

* Independent system and video RAM -- many of the laptops I've looked
  at are pretty nice, except that system RAM is shared with the video
  RAM... Urgh. No thanks.

* I'd prefer an Athlon-based system, but will settle for Pentium or
  Celeron. Clock speed isn't that important. Hard drive size -- anything
  bigger than 20 GB is fine.

* Video, sound and USB must work under Linux. I don't care if the
  internal modem works.

* Price: Less than $1,500.

I think that's about it. Any suggestions?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/