[CLUE-Talk] Mandrake news

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Thu Jan 16 11:24:39 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 00:32, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 10:49 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> >
> > Mandrake needs to learn from this as well -- $60 is a bit steep if
> > they're hoping to get a lot of people to subscribe. That's just too
> > much money for too few perks over the download version. They need to
> > have a cheaper membership -- maybe $25 -- I think they'd end up making
> > much more at that price point.
>
> Good point.  Has anyone paid for a Mandrake distro or joined the Mandrake
> Club?  I joined last year and probably will renew my membership again.

Since I've only used it for evaluation, no.  Not that SuSE is in
great shape financially (IBM bailed them out a year ago), but they
delay releasing downloadable iso's for a version until the next version
is going out the door.  This encourages more people to purchase the new
release.  A downside is that they don't get as much community testing
prior to a release.

lynn