[CLUE-Talk] Homeland Securty abandons MS for Linux

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Tue Jan 28 08:30:58 MST 2003

On 01-27 20:38, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/01/27/1831240.shtml?tid=2
>

> "The United States Department of Homeland Security ( www.dhs.gov )
> changed its  servers  over  to Oracle on Linux last week, after running
> on Windows 2000 for several months. Experts say that it is unlikely the
> change is a reaction to "Slammer," the MS SQL server worm that rocked
> the Internet last week. "

That's good news, at least the switching away from MS part. I hope some CTOs
and CIOs quit running their servers on MS crapware as a reaction to things
like Slammer, though.

I bet some of the conversations were interesting after this latest debacle:

"Well, we got hit again with another biggie. Maybe we should switch to
UNIX?"

"But look how much I saved on paying umpteen NT admins 30-40K less than one UNIX
admin!"

:)

It's not like security isn't an issue on UNIX, but in my limited anecdotal
experience, it seems that UNIX admins have more competence in what they do,
as opposed to the typical NT admin.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
The colder the X-Ray table, the more of your body is required on it.