[CLUE-Talk] Homeland Securty abandons MS for Linux

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Jan 28 08:46:24 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 08:30, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I bet some of the conversations were interesting after this latest debacle:
>
> "Well, we got hit again with another biggie. Maybe we should switch to
> UNIX?"
>
> "But look how much I saved on paying umpteen NT admins 30-40K less than one UNIX
> admin!"

The sad part of this above equation is that most PHBs don't see the
forrest because of the trees!!  Yes, it is cheaper to hire MS
administrators, but they can only handle 10-15 machines at once whereas
UNIX/Linux can handle up to 40 MACHINES AT ONCE!!!

> :)
>

> It's not like security isn't an issue on UNIX, but in my limited anecdotal
> experience, it seems that UNIX admins have more competence in what they do,
> as opposed to the typical NT admin.

They're more competent because they get "under the hood" of what they're
doing rather than the "point and click" which I can be guilty of.  ;-)

There is a big difference between knowing how and why things work versus
getting things done.  Too often getting things done is more costly when
you don't know how and why they work as they do.  That's why we call
them PHBs ;-)

Kevin

--
Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com>