[CLUE-Talk] Homeland Securty abandons MS for Linux

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Jan 28 09:02:40 MST 2003

On Tuesday, 28 January 2003 at  8:30:58 -0700, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:
> On 01-27 20:38, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> >
> > http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/01/27/1831240.shtml?tid=2
> >

> > "The United States Department of Homeland Security ( www.dhs.gov )
> > changed its  servers  over  to Oracle on Linux last week, after running
> > on Windows 2000 for several months. Experts say that it is unlikely the
> > change is a reaction to "Slammer," the MS SQL server worm that rocked
> > the Internet last week. "
>
> That's good news, at least the switching away from MS part. I hope some CTOs
> and CIOs quit running their servers on MS crapware as a reaction to things
> like Slammer, though.
>
> I bet some of the conversations were interesting after this latest debacle:
>
> "Well, we got hit again with another biggie. Maybe we should switch to
> UNIX?"
>
> "But look how much I saved on paying umpteen NT admins 30-40K less than one UNIX
> admin!"
>
> :)
>

> It's not like security isn't an issue on UNIX, but in my limited anecdotal
> experience, it seems that UNIX admins have more competence in what they do,
> as opposed to the typical NT admin.

Maybe M$ will switch to UNIX, too (or at least hire some decent admins).

Microsoft also gets slammed by worm

SEATTLE (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. itself was exposed to the virus-like
attack that crippled global Internet activity last weekend because it
failed to install crucial fixes to its own software on many Microsoft
computer servers, according to internal e-mails obtained by The
Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/01/28/microsoft.worm.ap/
--
Allons Rouler!