[CLUE-Talk] Going to war, how much to pay people

bof bof at pcisys.net
Wed Jan 29 12:44:56 MST 2003

Kevin Cullis wrote:

>While the enlisted folks meals, medical, clothing and equipment may be
>paid for, would you like to live on this income?  Most volunteer for
>this!!!!

Actually, since the end of the draft in the 1970's, every enlisted
person in the military is a volunteer.

>Having spent a half my life in the military, I can attest that sometimes
>you work 12 - 18 hours a day with the potential of someone firing on
>your butt earning this pay.

What we pay our soldier/sailors/marines/airmen is never enough, given
what we ask of them. 5% of the enlisted force needs food stamps and many
of the senior NCO's (the middle-level management backbone of the
military) are delivering pizzas to make enough to stay alive, from what
friends at Fort Bragg, NC, tell me.

If you should get a chance watch any of the programs on The Discovery
Channel about working on a carrier flight deck --- probably the most
hazardous peacetime job in the world, in spite of what lobster fishermen
will tell you <g> --- you'll see exactly what work is being done in a
space not much bigger than two city blocks long and one wide: working
around running jet engines, aircraft taking off and landing, loading
ammunition and bombs, refuelling, etc., etc. Keep in mind that the
average age on a carrier flight deck is about 19, and most of these
teenagers are making about $1500/month for a 60 hour work week.

For an infantryman in Afghanistan, making the same money, the work week
is even longer. And, as many of my friends have told me, when that first
round goes by your ear, you suddenly realization that whatever you are
getting paid, it is simply not enough!

Whatever we pay these young people is nowhere near what they should get
for the responsiblities they are carrying.  One thing about the service
that I found, personally, and from watching my son in it, is that it
makes one grow up in a hurry. Not only having to take care of oneself in
an environment that is very, very result oriented, not terribly
understanding of mistakes, and utterly unaccepting of excuses, but
having to lead others and care for multi-million dollar equipment occurs
at ages far younger than anything in civilian life. The average pay for
a tank commander for a Abrams tank, costing the taxpayer $5 million, is
about $2000/month. For a pilot flying a F-16, costing the taxpayer $27
million, the pay is around $3000/month.

It used to be that former military service was an asset on a resume. So
the interviewer who so cavalierly dismissed you was really a fool: had
that been me in the room with him, he would have regretted making that
statement. To put it mildly!

BOF