[CLUE-Talk] FCC Deregulation Debate

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Wed Jan 29 18:36:39 MST 2003

On 01-29 17:19, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 03:15 pm, Randy Arabie wrote:
> > I checked out a copy from the library today during lunch.  It looks like
> > it will be a good read.
>
> Randy,
>
> I must say that I am disappointed that you choose to infringe upon the
> capitalistic rights of the author of the book you are 'borrowing' from the
> library.
>
> It's a sad day for capitalism and American when ideas are freely exchanged at
> the expense of an author's government-given copy right protections and rights
> to royalities.
>
> I hope in the future, you will just go out and purchase a copy.
>
> Jeff
>
> P.S.  Wondering what the hell I'm talking about?  Read this article:
>  + http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

Man, I never realized what a low-down, dirty thief I was. The copy I read
was from the library, too. Jeffco library: brick-n-mortar Napster.

The book was really interesting because he clearly outlines how copyright
law has expanded with concrete examples. In the arena of books, he talked
about the _Gone With the Wind_ sequel that caused such a ruckus in the
recent past, a ruckus that never should have happened if the copyright had
expired as it should have: in *1992*. That copyright now expires in 2031
(unless it gets extended again).

If this continues, it will be impossible to even write such things as term
papers or research papers without paying licensing fees to the original
authors that you are citing.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it,
she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.
-Goya
(contributed by Chris Johnston)