[CLUE-Talk] FCC Deregulation Debate

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Jan 29 17:33:33 MST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:19:14 -0700
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 03:15 pm, Randy Arabie wrote:
> > I checked out a copy from the library today during lunch.  It looks
> > like it will be a good read.
>
> Randy,
>
> I must say that I am disappointed that you choose to infringe upon the
> capitalistic rights of the author of the book you are 'borrowing' from
> the library.
>
> It's a sad day for capitalism and American when ideas are freely
> exchanged at the expense of an author's government-given copy right
> protections and rights to royalities.
>
> I hope in the future, you will just go out and purchase a copy.

ROTFL! Unfortunately, also a big issue. Although disappointing, the Bill
Moyers "Now" program recently on the DMCA had a brief section about
libraries and the "first sale" doctrine. The libraries are now at the
point where they don't actually buy the book (or whatever), but a usage
license -- for some media, like e-books. I've been wondering how this sort
of thing would affect the movie-rental business as well.

So, what you're saying is that I shouldn't be checking CDs out from the
library and ripping^H^H^H^H^H^H^H listening to them? ;-)

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl