[CLUE-Talk] The prism of our experience

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Thu Jul 10 13:04:24 MDT 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 11:24 am, Randy Arabie wrote:

> It is NOT a "conservative" or Republican issue.  The
> Christian Science Monitor's commentary, in this instance, is
> BS.

OK - I understand your opinion, but I hoped for some facts to back your 'it's
not a conservative or republican issue' statement.

Your point of the other conflicts not requiring a declaration of war is
exactly what the CS article is talking about -- the fact that the Executive
branch of government can go to war w/o a mandate from another 1/3 of the
government is a problem -- too much power concentrated in the hands of a
single branch of government.  Which, in this case, either lied to us or is
incompetent beyond comprehension.

Perhaps if the President *had* gotten a declaration of war, then he would have
done more homework and built a case for WMD in Iraq based on facts, rather
than using straw men and scare tactics to dupe scared citizens into
supporting the war.

Finally, notice that several of the conflicts you cited, specifically Korea
and Vietname (and now Iraq) never had a good result -- they dragged on for
years (even decades).  OTH-those wars that had a declaration, such as WW2 had
a clear endpoint.

Perhaps this is why our government is designed to have a checks-and-balances
system.  In this case (just like many others), the Executive branch screwed
up big time -- either they lied or are grossly incompetent.  IMHO - a second
set of eyes (so to speak) of the Congress could have avoided such an
egregious breach of trust.

Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."