[CLUE-Talk] The prism of our experience

Jef Barnhart jef.barnhart at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 19:48:15 MDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 17:20, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2003 04:13 pm, Randy Arabie wrote:
> >
> > By the way, what was the clear endpoint of WWII?
>
>  I was thinking specifically of the surrender of Japan, Germany, Italy as a
> 'clear endpoint'.  Whereas in Iraq, as many (maybe more?) US solders have
> died since the war was 'officially' over.

Let's not forget the men and women that have died on 38th parallel since
the end of the Korean war. I don't recall that there ever was a 'clear
endpoint' to that either. I think that the year 1953(?) is used. Korea
has been in a state of war since the start. In fact I think that North
and South Korea entertained talks of ceasefire just in the last few
years. And the US has had a strong military presence since the start.

My point is that there is rarely a clear end point. Historians in the
future will be the ones that can really talk about that. We are to close
to history to make that call.

--
Jef Barnhart <jef.barnhart at comcast.net>