[CLUE-Talk] "Liberal" media?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Jul 17 23:46:07 MDT 2003

I am sure there is some liberal bias in some news outlets.  Especially
20-30 years ago.  But it is waning.

To suggest that there are any major television news sources (broadcast
or cable) that are as far to the left as Fox is as far to the right is
just silly.  Given that one simple fact, the case for suppression of a
conservative viewpoint by the television media is thrown right out the
window.

Another interesting exercise is to go look at nationally sindicated op-ed
writers for newspapers across the country.  I read an amazing article
about it a while back, but I don't remember where.  The interesting thing
is that they are *overwhelmingly* right-wing.  There are a minority of
left-leaning op-ed writers, and almost no far left op-ed writers.
There, are, however, far right op-ed writers.

Any intelligent consumer of news needs to: 1) Try to focus on facts,
which can often negate any effect of bias.  2) Use multiple news
sources, from both sides.

That said, the American people can believe whatever they want, it does
not make it true.  Part of the belief undoubtably is because those on
the right have been yelling 'liberal-bias' for as long as I can
remember.  But saying it does not make it so.  A majority of Americans
believe we have found WMD in Iraq.

I am not willing to say that there is a 'conservative-bias' in the news
media, but I have seen enough evidence to think that the 'liberal-bias'
meme is spotty at best.

The most scary thing about the Media these days is not bias left or
right, but coroporate bias.

Tim