[CLUE-Talk] "Liberal" media?

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Jul 18 07:14:57 MDT 2003

On Friday, 18 July 2003 at  2:17:27 -0600, Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:
> Here's are elegant (and factually supported) counter points:
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
		      Thus implying that Kevin's source
		      wasn't?

> "Given the success of Fox News, the Wall Street Journal editorial pages, the
> Washington Times, the New York Post, The American Spectator, The Weekly
> Standard, the New York Sun, National Review, Commentary, Limbaugh, Drudge,
> etc., no sensible person can dispute the existence of a "conservative media."

Has anyone?  The issue isn't that there are *no*
conservative media outlets.

> "Unlike most of the publications named above, liberals, for some reason, feel
> compelled to include the views of the other guy on a regular basis in just
> the fashion that conservatives abhor."

If they don't talk about the "other guy" what do they talk
about?  Limbaugh, The American Spectator, and Drudge all
rose in popularity talking about the Clinton administration,
it's policies, and scandals.

Why were people devouring the information provided by these
media outlets?

Perhaps because they felt it was not being presented
anywhere else.

> "Patrick Buchanan, among the most conservative pundits and presidential
> candidates in Republican history, found that he could not identify any
> allegedly liberal bias against him during his presidential candidacies. "I've
> gotten balanced coverage, and broad coverage--all we could have asked. For
> heaven sakes, we kid about the 'liberal media,' but every Republican on earth
> does that ..."

Perhaps there was no need to report on Buchanan with a
liberal bias to affect his candidacies as desired.  Balanced
coverage of him was adequate enough to scare all but the
most far-right voters away.

> "And even William Kristol, without a doubt the most influential Republican /
> neoconservative publicist in America today, has come clean on this issue. "I
> admit it," he told a reporter. "The liberal media were never that powerful,
> and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for
> conservative failures."

I have my doubts about William Kristol being the "most
influential Republican / neoconservative publicist in
America today."

> From: "What Liberal Media?"
>  + http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030224&s=alterman2&c=1

Just as many consider the the Media Research Center a
bastion of right-wing propaganda, many also consider The
Nation a bastion of left-wing propaganda.

I heard a radio interview with the author of that article
(Eric Alterman), and I've looked at some of is other
articles and commentary.  Based on what I've seen, I suspect
his own liberal bias helped him form the opinion(s) he
presents on this issue.

FWIW, I think Evan summed it up quite well.
http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-talk/2003-July/005716.html
--

Allons Rouler!

Randy