[CLUE-Talk] "Liberal" media?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jul 18 10:57:58 MDT 2003

* Randy Arabie (randy at arabie.org) wrote:
> On Friday, 18 July 2003 at  2:17:27 -0600, Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:
> > Here's are elegant (and factually supported) counter points:
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 		      Thus implying that Kevin's source
> 		      wasn't?
>
> > "Given the success of Fox News, the Wall Street Journal editorial pages, the
> > Washington Times, the New York Post, The American Spectator, The Weekly
> > Standard, the New York Sun, National Review, Commentary, Limbaugh, Drudge,
> > etc., no sensible person can dispute the existence of a "conservative media."
>
> Has anyone?  The issue isn't that there are *no*
> conservative media outlets.

No, people say that there is an overal liber bias.  Which the above
newspapers can't pretty much quash all by themselves.  Like I said, look
at any liberal paper, say the Nation, and you can find what, 2, 5, 10
conservative counterparts.  And the claims that mainstream papers are
all horribly biased toward the left are just not borne out.  The
mainstream press is in the range of slight center-left to slightly
center-right, probably trending a little bit towards the right.

> > "Unlike most of the publications named above, liberals, for some reason, feel
> > compelled to include the views of the other guy on a regular basis in just
> > the fashion that conservatives abhor."
>
> If they don't talk about the "other guy" what do they talk
> about?  Limbaugh, The American Spectator, and Drudge all
> rose in popularity talking about the Clinton administration,
> it's policies, and scandals.
>
> Why were people devouring the information provided by these
> media outlets?
>
> Perhaps because they felt it was not being presented
> anywhere else.

Oh, I just can't let this one slide.  On CNN, or ABS, or the NYT, you
will often see or read a story about X, which will say the Dems are mad
about this, but the Repubs say that.  Or vice versa.  On Drudge, Rush,
et al, you will hear something to the effect 'these commie pinko
liberals are trying to do x again!'.  That is not, by any strech of the
imagination, balance.  Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but it looks
like you just said Rush Limbaugh is a balanceed source, who 'includes
the views of the other guy.'

> > "Patrick Buchanan, among the most conservative pundits and presidential
> > candidates in Republican history, found that he could not identify any
> > allegedly liberal bias against him during his presidential candidacies. "I've
> > gotten balanced coverage, and broad coverage--all we could have asked. For
> > heaven sakes, we kid about the 'liberal media,' but every Republican on earth
> > does that ..."
>
> Perhaps there was no need to report on Buchanan with a
> liberal bias to affect his candidacies as desired.  Balanced
> coverage of him was adequate enough to scare all but the
> most far-right voters away.
>
> > "And even William Kristol, without a doubt the most influential Republican /
> > neoconservative publicist in America today, has come clean on this issue. "I
> > admit it," he told a reporter. "The liberal media were never that powerful,
> > and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for
> > conservative failures."
>
> I have my doubts about William Kristol being the "most
> influential Republican / neoconservative publicist in
> America today."

Well, he pretty much founded the neoconservative philosophy, so he is a
big name.