[CLUE-Talk] Proposed HR 2688 -- Wondering about opinions on H-1B visas

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Wed Jul 23 12:10:07 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 11:48, Gary Threlkeld wrote:

*snip*

> My experience is that one of the other "offshoots" of Visa
> workers coming into the U.S. to work is that many workers
> come together - share expenses like living quarters, etc
> so they have more money to send back to relatives in their
> home countries.  That money is lost as well as any benefits
> that the US Government could draw from taxes to a citizen
> that would take what was left to spend at the mall.

At least *some* of that money is being spent here.

With the overseas outsourcing, a ton of money is being sent out of the
U.S. and staying overseas.

It would be really nice if companies would look at the long-term
consequences of their actions.

Laying off workers and hiring cheap replacements overseas may work to
drive up profits in the short term, but when all those people who are
laid off can no longer afford products produced by those companies it
starts a pretty ugly cycle.

I'm not an economist, but it seems pretty obvious to me that sending
huge amounts of work overseas is not going to have a pleasant impact on
the bottom line for U.S. companies down the road.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net