[CLUE-Talk] Proposed HR 2688 -- Wondering about opinions on H-1B visas

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Wed Jul 23 13:39:50 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 12:10 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 11:48, Gary Threlkeld wrote:

> Laying off workers and hiring cheap replacements overseas may work to
> drive up profits in the short term, but when all those people who are
> laid off can no longer afford products produced by those companies it
> starts a pretty ugly cycle.
>
> I'm not an economist, but it seems pretty obvious to me that sending
> huge amounts of work overseas is not going to have a pleasant impact on
> the bottom line for U.S. companies down the road.
>
> Zonker

Look, folks, don't get so caught up in all this stuff. This is simply
free-enterprise at its best. The real issue here is that you know that long
term the jobs are going. You need to start planning for it and start
createing you own sets of companies.

Right now, I work on 2 start-ups and am partially working on a 3'rd.
The first one is writting software for spying on Americans. Supposedly it is
terrorist, but it really is not. Our current admin simply lies about it. Cool
stuff though.

The 2'nd is selling wireless and Linux systems into a market place. We
originally were going after simple wireless, but found that diskless Linux
systems are doing an absolute killing. These are companies that needed
inexpensive desktop with 24x7 uptime and inexpensive support. You will hear
more about it in the near future.

The 3'rd one is actually hardware based systems for homes/small business
(which appears to finally be getting a serious looksie).

So here are some ideas for you.

Become a  software companies on Linux. Not everything has to be GPL (nor
should it be).

Kreceipe is being done wrong (as are all receipe makers). I started some ago
on a similar project, but ran out of time (got the above mentioned job). My
"kitchen" is based on graphically building the receipe useing a database of
ingrediants, similar to kreceipe. But I also created a database of equipment
and Procedures. By graphically mapping it, the receipe can be easily and
instantly converted into other languages. Likewise, make the client allow
trading of receipes. Not with a central DB, but with friends. Finally, allow
on-line shopping via the menu planner. That on-line shopping will require a
central DB to point back to sites to do shopping. Likewise, there will need
to be a server program created for large scale exchange of receipes (like
King soupers offering up receipes) and a scalable sales mechanism. Basically,
make that sellable. The idea was to offer up the GPL client for OSS world,
and a GPL server for small scale receipe exchange, and a commercial scalable
server for doing receipe exchange and ingrediant buying.

Automated Manufactuering.
Cat5 and Cat6 cables are built by hand in other countries. Simply design a
peice of hardware that can build custom cables cheaply and automated. These
will be needed literally for years. That allows for these systems to be in
use for 10 years.

I was at Red Lobster the other day and thinking about the Claw crackers that
they have. These are almost certainly manufactuered out of this country. Come
up with a automated dedicated manufactuering machine that can build these
cheaply. There are plenty of CnC machines that can be combined with patch
machineing to automate the process.

There are lots of devices that we and other countries use that will be needed
for some time with little to no changes. These are items that we should be
automating manufactuering.

- --
cheers
g.r.r.