[CLUE-Talk] Proposed HR 2688 -- Wondering about opinions on H-1B visas

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Thu Jul 24 12:32:47 MDT 2003

Richard,

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 18:49, G. Richard Raab wrote:

> Don't move. Change.

Amen!!!  But more importantly, what does a person change to?  IT
workers, or former ones, need to get into an industry that may not have
their expertise but may need it!!  Become a domain expert and keep your
IT skills handy and then move in for the kill ;-)

> Look, our best bet as a nation is to change rapidly. In many ways we are being
> screwed all around.
> Likewise, there is a new industry in the Linux world. MS (and somewhat Apple)
> has such a strangle hold on its base, that ppl will have no real place to go,
> but to Linux. Now is the time to develop software. Many of you are unemployed
> coders. Build a company around that. Others are working, but hate the job or
> are aware that you will be losing it over the next couple of years (anybody
> here work for JDE, Sun, HP, or IBM). This is right now the opportune time to
> use that tech skill and build companies. Companies that export. Or improve
> our efficiencies. I had to laugh at the use of a GPS tractor in Australia to
> go over the same tracks. I talked about the idea of useing a train approach
> out in fields to run a engine over. They are now thinking about it (energy
> and labour costs are some of the highest costs).

I agree with Richard, people need to come together and solve the next
problems that are coming about, MS surely isn't listening:

Computerworld: Survey: Smaller Companies Eye Open-Source as Microsoft
Alternative
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,83123,00.html

The one thing that I hope most IT workers realize is that they have a
LOT of experience that should NOT go to waste.  The key issue is that
while you may have to "dumb down" your ego a little and swallow your
pride that what is expected of you is "beneath" you, you can make up the
"simple" problems with autmation and volume!

Kevin