[CLUE-Talk] Proposed HR 2688 -- Wondering about opinions on H-1B visas

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Thu Jul 24 13:06:54 MDT 2003

On Thursday 24 July 2003 12:32, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> I agree with Richard, people need to come together and solve the next
> problems that are coming about, MS surely isn't listening:
>
> Computerworld: Survey: Smaller Companies Eye Open-Source as Microsoft
> Alternative
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,83123,00
>.html
>
> The one thing that I hope most IT workers realize is that they have a
> LOT of experience that should NOT go to waste.  The key issue is that
> while you may have to "dumb down" your ego a little and swallow your
> pride that what is expected of you is "beneath" you, you can make up the
> "simple" problems with autmation and volume!

My brother runs a network services company which caters to small businesses --
they are busy all of the time.  I think it's an indication that small
businesses want more IT work.

My experience with his customers (I occassionaly do database work for them) is
that they 1) don't understand technical details and 2) don't care about
technical details.  The best bet, IMHO is to *solve their IT problems*
cheaply and efficiently.

Jeff

--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."