[CLUE-Talk] Proposed HR 2688 -- Wondering about opinions on H-1B visas

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Thu Jul 24 13:28:05 MDT 2003

Zonker,

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:10, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> It would be really nice if companies would look at the long-term
> consequences of their actions.
>
> Laying off workers and hiring cheap replacements overseas may work to
> drive up profits in the short term, but when all those people who are
> laid off can no longer afford products produced by those companies it
> starts a pretty ugly cycle.
>
> I'm not an economist, but it seems pretty obvious to me that sending
> huge amounts of work overseas is not going to have a pleasant impact on
> the bottom line for U.S. companies down the road.
>
> Zonker

I agree with your statementa above, take a look at this:

Does outsourcing offer savings at too high a price?
http://www.computerworld.com/careertopics/careers/story/0,10801,83169,00.html?SKC=careers-83169

The question is: what happens to the SKILLS of those that have been
outsourced from?  Unless they find other work, or NEW work, i.e. create
something out of nothing, a new company with others, then those skills
weaken over time. If you don't know where to look, hook up with someone
who has the skills that does.

For some help:

Know Thyself: An Easy Approach
http://www.computerworld.com/careertopics/careers/story/0,10801,83050,00.html?SKC=careers-83050

I have also seen that most organizations have been sold FUD when it
comes to IT stuff, that more COMPLICATED is better!!

Kevin