[CLUE-Talk] interesting home business article - from slashdot

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jul 25 23:27:06 MDT 2003

* psychoi3oy at linkline.com (psychoi3oy at linkline.com) wrote:

> i'll skip the slashdot summary but this ->
> http://homepage.mac.com/monickels/techjob.html  is an interesting article
> for small business/home user tech support. being currently out of a job and
> not the guru most companys want (how in the world can i have 4 years
> windows XP experience? or 5 years experience and a bachelor's, i'm only 22
> for peets sake) this actually sounds like an interesting job opportunity.
> my biggest problem is initial capital (business cards, flyers, tools,
> software perhaps) and the fact that i have next to no business sense. i
> cave in too easily when it comes to people whining about something costing
> too much, i'm perhaps a little too customer satisfaction oriented (a habit
> i picked up working at an oldschool service station, doing full serve gas,
> etc) and fear that i'd be too nice for my own pocketbook's good. but if i
> could do this kind of work, even part time, i'm sure i could make money at
> it and i'd just cringe when it came time for taxes (i remember my mom
> pouring over pages of tax stuff when it came time for her to deduct stuff
> from her home daycare business, and i can't stand reading mindless tax
> drivel). based on the article and what you all know about the climate in
> denver (something i'm sorely unaware of having only been here 3 weeks)
> would this be a good thing to look into? or should i shrug and keep hitting
> monster.com and hope for the best there?

I also found this article intriguing.  But I have never liked the idea of
tech support, as the author of the article suggests.  When I worked at
Qwest/USWest, I always managed to become known as 'that guy that knows
computers'.  People wouldn't call company tech support because everyone
told them to come to me, I would get the job done better (tells you
something more about Qwest in-house tech support, rather than me).  It
was always annoying, but it was not my job then, it was an annoyance on
top of my job.

I currently don't have a job, as I got laid of last year and am going to
school full time to get a *real* job. :->

The biggest trouble I see is having the cojones to just go for it, and
get it started.

Anybody on the list do something similar, that can give a feel for what
the market is like?

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silver_NO-UCE_klein.net   ==
== "Hello, World" 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...         ==