[CLUE-Talk] interesting home business article - from slashdot

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat Jul 26 08:23:46 MDT 2003

On Saturday 26 July 2003 00:25, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Another thing is that modern corporate culture doesn't favor scrupulous
> honesty. Although blatant dishonesty is usually not tolerated (unless
> you're a top exec), spin and hype are more often than not considered to
> be marks of professionalism.

Very astute observation Matt.  I couldn't agree more.  At my company, managers
seem to favor spin - that uncomfortable grey area.  No one seems to want to
hide the truth or lie, but certainly everything is said 'in the best light'.
I can't tell you the amount of word-smithing I have done in reports for
higher level execs.  Something is wrong, but we minimize it to the point of
absurdity.

I'm probably too honest for a corporate culture.  I definitely think that some
of my managers don't like total candor.  They'll like it when you're
face-to-face with them, behind a closed door.  But outside, there's a
political game always playing.  Honest short-circuits the game.   Where's the
fun then?

Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."