[CLUE-Talk] Author, Consumer, and Computer Owner Protection and Security (ACCOPS) Act of 2003

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sun Jul 27 10:21:48 MDT 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 09:07, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Well, if they're providingng/downloading unlicensed/payed-for copies of
> copyrighted material, then they're already criminals, no?

I disagree.  I think if it purely as an act civil disobedience to an unjust
law (copyrights).  The current copyright laws only favor the holder.  The
original intent was to give the holder a specified and terminated period of
time (14 years + 14 year extension) in which to capitalize on the original
idea.  Then, the idea was supposed to be released into the world (USA,
anyway) and everyone could then benefit.

Over the past century, corporate lobbyists have successfully convinced
Congress that copy rights are the same as real propery.   The result is that
the copyright laws have become a farce.  The greater good intention of the 28
year expiration has been lost.  For example, Disney lobbied Congress with the
tear-jerking rationale that a 'national treasure' like Mickey Mouse (and
their copyright) should extend perpetually.

Is this a fair way to capitalize on an original idea?

Related to this idea is the corruption of (and constant battle for) fair use
rights.  Remember those, folks?

I think file sharing falls under fair use.  Just because it's more efficient
and produces better quality with digital technology is irrelevant.  The
*facts* showed that Napster, et al., *significantly increased* music sales.
Now that the RIAA are (futiley) clamping down, sales are slumping.  In a
heavy dose of misreality and spin-doctoring, the *real* criminals (RIAA)
blame 'music pirates' for the sales slump.  Not true to this point.  And as
many have posted in this forum, they believe that the price of music is
inflated and is the result of collusion among the recording industry.  In
fact, several studios (Sony?) lost a class-action lawsuit regarding
artificially set prices of CDs.

I remember when CDs were introduced.  They were a triumph of technolgy -
better, faster, cheaper.  Why then has the price of an album jumped 300%
since their introduction?  Hmm.

More has been said by more knowledgeable folks than me.  I would recommend the
following (biased toward consumer's rights) links:

http://www.protectfairuse.org/index.html
http://www.eff.org/
http://www.cdt.org/copyright/

Later,
Jeff

--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."