[CLUE-Talk] interesting home business article - from slashdot

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jul 28 15:20:31 MDT 2003

* Matt Gushee (matt at gushee.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:01:51AM -0600, G. Richard Raab wrote:
> >
> > BTW, training is another area that you can go into, but it is hard to break
> > into. But if you write your own material and approach the right ppl, and
> > offer the right price, it is doable.
>
> Interesting. Before I became human sewage, I was a developer for just a
> while. But in between *that* and being an English teacher, I was a
> technical trainer for a while. Wouldn't mind getting back into that at
> all, but I know a few out-of-work trainers, and they all say the market
> is dead ... well, obviously it's dead for them, but they seem to be both
> accomplished and well-connected people, so I would expect them to have
> knowledge of, and a good shot at, whatever opportunities are out there.
>
> So who needs what kinds of training these days, do you think?

I would be nervous about the training field.  Companies like Qwest are
waking up to the fact that the prices they were paying for computer
training made Hardvard look cheap (no, that's not a joke, they really
do).  Couple that with the fact that half of the trainers that were hired
at Qwest were at least somewhat incompetent.

So now they have much stricter guidelines about who they will hire, and
what they will pay.  If the rest of the market is like Qwest, I would
suspect that training might be harder right now.  Or it might just be that
some folks that didn't deserve to be in the field to begin with have
been forced to leave it (*not* saying that about your friends).  Over
the course of 7 years at Qwest, I met some real snake oil salesman in
the training field.

That said, I am sure one could do it if they were teaching the right
thing at a fair price, and really knew what they were doing.

Tim