[CLUE-Talk] SQL-99 inner joins

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Thu Jun 12 20:08:25 MDT 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 07:01 pm, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Generally, the performance based on the SQL syntax is database-dependant.
Theoretically, it should not be if two equivalent SQL statements are
'standard SQL'.

Unfortunately, many RDBMS vendors include extensions to SQL which have the
advantage of performance.  For example, Oracle includes a way to give hints
to the optimizer (aka 'planner' as Scott called it the other night).  These
hints tell Oracle to use an index that it may not choose on its own, and
hence the query performs faster.

As far as MS-SQL/MS-Access goes - they have take a slightly different slant on
SQL.  Much of my experience as a db developer (8 years) was in Oracle,
Interbase, and Informix (in addition to Postgres and MySQL lately).  I have
used MS-SQL and MS-Access and found their SQL structure to be generally
similar but vastly different from the other DB vendors - especially with
regard to join syntax.  For example, I had never used the 'join on' syntax in
Oracle (although I believe it's supported).  In Interbase, I used the 'inner
join' syntax...

HTH-
Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."