[CLUE-Talk] Seeking advice for a digital camera

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jun 16 18:28:54 MDT 2003

Howdy,

> Sane is for scanners, not really cameras. Check out www.gphoto.org for that.
> However, I also back the suggestion of Kodak. I have had very little problem
> with the 110, 120, 220, and 210.

I have to say that gphoto2 is pretty handy.  I had to use a Canon PowerShot S20
today and gphoto2 was able to read the pictures off the camera with no problems,
using the USB interface under a Linux 2.4.20 RedHat kernel.

I would rather have the camera show up as a USB mass storage device so I can
mount it as a VFAT filesystem; the gphoto command line interface is clumsy
at best.

However at least it worked under Linux, which is a major improvement over
digital cameras even ~2 years ago.

I see from the gphoto web pages that they still have mean things to say
about Canon and their use of proprietary protocols, and their failure to
release any useful information to the open source community.  You should
vote with your wallet and DO NOT BUY A CANON for this reason.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/