[CLUE-Talk] Odd question

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jun 17 18:44:36 MDT 2003

On 17 Jun 2003 08:47:54 -0600
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

> This isn't directly Linux-related, but I thought I'd give it a shot...
>
> I've got two computers hooked up to the same keyboard with a KVM switch,
> and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place where I could find an audio
> cable that would allow me to hook up one set of speakers to both
> computers? I know there are KVM switches out there that allow this, but
> they're just a tad pricey...

I recommend getting yourself a nice Crown or maybe Linn Sondek or Carver
preamp, then plug the line-out from one computer into aux-1, the line-out
from other into aux-2. Switching between them will then be quite easy --
most modern preamps come with remote controls, or of course, there's the
front panel. For amplification, perhaps a pair of Mark Levinson mono
amplifiers. For speakers, well, B&W and NHT make some very nice 2-ways,
which would go well with a powered subwoofer by Hsu Research, or Sunfire,
or Velodyne. Oh, wait. That would cost more than the KVM switch. ;-)

OTOH, there is always just an A-B switch. I don't recall if I've ever
actually seen one designed for stereo speaker switching though. You might
try Crutchfield.com -- they have all kinds of stuff. I'm uncertain of how
well using Y cables would work, due to the fact that having the speaker
outputs of both sound cards essentially hooked together (throught the Y)
makes me wonder about impedance problems.

It might be easier to just run your tunes on one machine. For controlling
sound from the other, just fire up whatever audio proggy, and point the
display over to the second box.

jed

--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl