[CLUE-Talk] Hatch Takes Aim at Illegal Downloading

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Wed Jun 18 08:31:50 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 07:58, Randy Arabie wrote:
> WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said
> Tuesday he favors developing new technology to remotely destroy the
> computers of people who illegally download music from the Internet.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6241-2003Jun17.html
>
> Wouldn't that violate existing federal laws against hacking?

It would. Hatch is in favor of modifying those laws to allow this...
several apologists have come forward to say that Hatch was "just trying
to illustrate a point" and such, but I think the guy's totally serious.
It's important to note where Hatch gets his bread buttered -- he
"earned" $18,000 from royalties recently.

If Hatch & Co. have their way, you can look forward to a future of
paying every time you want to listen to a song, watch a movie, use your
computer -- whatever.

The mind-set of Hatch, Hilary Rosen, Jack Valenti, is so completely
foreign to me that I can't help but characterize it as "evil" because it
is so one-sided and hell-bent on putting complete control in the hands
of one party, to the complete detriment of the majority of the
population.

The Founders would be completely horrified if they saw what had become
of copyright law and intellectual property laws.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net