[CLUE-Talk] How much to pay for domain service.

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Mon Jun 23 21:54:57 MDT 2003

If you're paying less than $20/year, be very suspicious.  I have to wonder
how a registry can sell domains for sub-$20.  What are they cutting out
of their service, and how much are they going to help you if something
goes wrong.

In the case of any registrar, read their registration agreements carefully.
This is very important, as some registrars actually take ownership of the
domain--you, in effect, register a domain for them, and they let you use
it for as long as they deem convenient.

Some registrars have steep transaction costs if you ever want to transfer
your domain away.  There are lots of little gotchas that these fly-by-
night outfits will hit you with, so be careful.

Disclaimer: I run a domain registration biz, so take what I say knowing
that. :)  But really, the last thing you should be comparing domain
registration companies on is price.  If you pay $9/year, you're paying
$0.75/month.  If you pay $25/year, you're paying $2.08/month.  The
difference is about the cost of a soda and a candy bar.  If your domain is
worth anything at all to you, price should be the last thing on your
list.

Hope that helps!

-k