[CLUE-Talk] Marketing to CLUE Members

El Presidente de CLUE president at clue.denver.co.us
Fri Mar 14 17:00:41 MST 2003

On Friday 14 March 2003 03:53 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> My suggestion is this: A member, like Rick, may post a specific
> announcement to the clue-talk list no more than once per year for a
> non-Linux related commercial announcement to invite people to "opt in"
> or whatever. Any member is limited to an arbitrary number of such posts
> within a twelve-month period, say three.

Zonker,

IMHO, this is not an acceptable option.  Who is going to keep track of this
number?  Where do we draw the line?  Suppose I run a porn shop, would it be
ok for me to send three messages to CLUE-Talk for 'hot, young girls'?  I
don't think so.

It's a slippery-slope which we have not had occasion to formally address
because it hasn't happened (to my knowledge) in the 5 years I have been on
the admin board.

> But, you raise a good point... we do need to put up a policy, and
> pronto. We can't just assume there's an unspoken policy that everyone
> will absorb through some kind of netiquette osmosis.

I agree.  Even though we have links to NetEtiquette on the CLUE Resources
page.  The fact is that the lists do not explicitly state 'no commercial or
unsolicited offers'.  This will change in the next few days.

Jeff
--
Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/