[CLUE-Talk] Marketing to CLUE Members

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 14 18:49:42 MST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:00:41 -0700
El Presidente de CLUE <president at clue.denver.co.us> wrote:

> On Friday 14 March 2003 03:53 pm, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
>

> > My suggestion is this: A member, like Rick, may post a specific
> > announcement to the clue-talk list no more than once per year for a
> > non-Linux related commercial announcement to invite people to "opt in"
> > or whatever. Any member is limited to an arbitrary number of such
> > posts within a twelve-month period, say three.
>
> Zonker,
>
> IMHO, this is not an acceptable option.  Who is going to keep track of
> this number?  Where do we draw the line?  Suppose I run a porn shop,
> would it be ok for me to send three messages to CLUE-Talk for 'hot,
> young girls'?  I don't think so.
>
> It's a slippery-slope which we have not had occasion to formally address
> because it hasn't happened (to my knowledge) in the 5 years I have been
> on the admin board.
>
> > But, you raise a good point... we do need to put up a policy, and
> > pronto. We can't just assume there's an unspoken policy that everyone
> > will absorb through some kind of netiquette osmosis.
>
> I agree.  Even though we have links to NetEtiquette on the CLUE
> Resources page.  The fact is that the lists do not explicitly state 'no
> commercial or unsolicited offers'.  This will change in the next few
> days.

I have to agree with Jeff here, as far as some quota system being
unworkable. But in truth, with some obvious exceptions such as Jeff
mentions, I can see benefit in "peer marketing", as Dave calls it. It's
part of being a community. But the boundaries are fuzzy, and there's the
rub.

Would anyone have cared much about a short message, to the TALK list,
saying, "Hey, fellow CLUEbies, if you're also interested in real estate, I
have a newsletter you might be interested in. Contact me off-list for
details"? That's a lot different from a direct e-mail saying, "I've
already put you on my mailing list, using the address I snagged from
CLUE". The problem being we can easily use a little word substitution in
the first sentence to make it non-grata. So there's the slippery slope
again. OK, I admit I might get irritated at my short-message example.

Is there value for me in knowing, for example, that a CLUEbie works at
such-and-such computer store? Yep. Would I be more comfortable buying a
car from a dealer, knowing the salesperson is a CLUE member? Yep. How does
a list policy allow the sort of things we've been seeing as long as I've
been around, where people ask for recommendations for an ISP? OK, so

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl