[CLUE-Talk] Re: [CLUE-Tech] fonts with Red Hat 8.0

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Mar 17 14:56:33 MST 2003

On 17 Mar 2003 at 14:43, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Mike> Very nice - that fixed the problem perfectly!  Thanks Kevin for
> Mike> the tip, I'll implement it system wide ride away.  Stupid Red
> Mike> Hat trying to be rebels or something :)
>
> Well, they just want to be able to support customers in non english
> typing areas. ;)
>
> It makes some amount of sense.

For some reason that reminds me of an old Kurt Vonnegut story
(_Harrison Bergeron_?) of a future society where everyone is made
equal with artificial handicapping devices. So if you had good
eyesight, you had to wear thick blurry glasses. If you had strong
legs, you would wear weights to slow you down.

Unicode is great in theory, and probably will be great in actuality
some day, but as Mike found, there are still too few applications
that support it for it to be a very useful default language under
Linux. As far as I know that applies just as much in the rest of the
world as it does here.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA