[CLUE-Talk] Charlie Daniels comments, article about Saddam's sons.

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun Mar 23 23:30:53 MST 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:01:55PM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> To add on:  Will it take more wars to acknowledge other atrocities such as
> things happening in Sudan, N. Korea, China, Chetchnya ?  Is the plan of the
> Administration to start wars with other countries with similar records of
> human rights violations -- to liberate them in the name of Democracy?
>
> I read an interesting article the other day which suggested that if so many
> war protestors want peace, why aren't they doing something to help the
> victims, rather than complaining about Bush, jr.

A couple of quick thoughts:

* Was there any evidence that the protestors are doing nothing for the
  victims, or was the author simply trying to discredit their
  motivations?

* I would guess that some of the protestors are very likely doing
  something for victims of oppression--though some of those may be
  people like the Palestinians who are not officially acknowledged to be
  victims.

* Seems to me that if you are trying to prevent someone's city from
  being bombed, you are in fact doing something for them.

* Some of them may be concerned about the *domestic* victims of the Bush
  government's policies. Like Gulf War veterans affected by--what?
  Chemical exposure? "Depleted" Uranium? Whatever it is--who are having
  more trouble than ever getting treatment due to VA budget cuts.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)