[CLUE-Talk] Charlie Daniels comments, article about Saddam's sons.

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Mar 24 17:33:55 MST 2003

On Sunday 23 March 2003 11:30 pm, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:01:55PM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> > To add on:  Will it take more wars to acknowledge other atrocities such
> > as things happening in Sudan, N. Korea, China, Chetchnya ?  Is the plan
> > of the Administration to start wars with other countries with similar
> > records of human rights violations -- to liberate them in the name of
> > Democracy?
> >
> > I read an interesting article the other day which suggested that if so
> > many war protestors want peace, why aren't they doing something to help
> > the victims, rather than complaining about Bush, jr.
>
> A couple of quick thoughts:
>
> * Was there any evidence that the protestors are doing nothing for the
>   victims, or was the author simply trying to discredit their
>   motivations?

Both, based on comments from some of the protestors, they were there for the
spectacle.  I don't think this is unexpected, but simply human nature.

> * I would guess that some of the protestors are very likely doing
>   something for victims of oppression--though some of those may be
>   people like the Palestinians who are not officially acknowledged to be
>   victims.

I agree.  Some, very small percentage of folks are doing something tangible.

> * Seems to me that if you are trying to prevent someone's city from
>   being bombed, you are in fact doing something for them.

I think the author was looking for more tangible contributions, such as Oxfam
or Amnesty International.

I'll send you a copy of it if you like, since I think it may be subscription
only article.

Jeff

--
Life is a tie. In the end, no one wins.