[CLUE-Talk] Charlie Daniels comments, article about Saddam's sons.

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Mon Mar 24 00:57:30 MST 2003

Speaking only from my perspective:  I am as politically ignorant as I
can reasonably be.  Here is the sum total of my 'politics' over the last
12'ish years:

We went to war with Iraq because they had done some seriously 'Bad
Things' when taking over and holding Kuwait.  Some of my friends said,
"We're not trying to protect Kuwait.  We just want to control the oil."
I got mad, but I couldn't say anything about it, because I had no proof
either way.  I knew why I supported our military action, but I didn't
know what was in the hearts of the top brass, any more than I do now.

Next thing I know, we're electing someone suspected of serious lack of
family loyalty to be President, and my friends are telling me that his
private life will not affect his execution of the office, and I can't
argue because I don't know the future.  Then, my fifth-grade son is
learning about lying and extra-marital affairs and oral sex and lechery
from this man that we elected, and my friends are telling me that what
he did is no big deal as long as the economy stays good.  And I won't
argue because I realize that my friends and I don't have so much in
common, perhaps, and I begin to really hate Mr. Clinton, because his
private life ~has~ affected his execution of the office, in every way
that mattered to me, because my children matter more to me than he does.

Next, I voted against Clinton in every way remaining to me.  I voted
against Gore, his too-public walk to church, his smile and his parade
wave, and I held my breath for two weeks while chads fell out of
punch-cards, and Florida teetered...  Then I breathed deeply when Bush
was confirmed, with or without a 'clear mandate from the people', and I
thought, "Now I can ignore politics again for a while."

And on September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center destroyed and it
collapsed on people and heroes died and I cried my eyes out, and I
thanked God out loud that we had Bush as President, and so did many of
the people that voted against him, and we went to war.

Then Saddam Hussein defied the gazillionth U.N. resolution, and
President Bush said, "End of the line, Bucko." and my friends said,
"Bush is a thug, a terrorist, a war-mongering ... Not in my name ... Why
Iraq?  Why now? ... Etc."  and for once, I want to be able to say,
"Stick it in your eye.  Our President is doing exactly what I elected
him to do.  He is eliminating a threat to my children.  He is asserting
in full view that no man may do whatever he pleases, at whatever cost to
others, in direct violation of the law of the community, without fear of
reprisal.  He is standing up for The Right Thing."  I am tired of
hearing from my friends what horrid deeds should be overlooked, and what
good deeds should be left undone.

Who are my peace-loving friends really trying to help?  If not the Iraqi
citizens, then who?

Where the Heck have all the heroes gone, anyway?  Aren't we supposed to
protect people, by physical means, if necessary?