[CLUE-Talk] Charlie Daniels comments, article about Saddam's sons.

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Mar 24 01:51:51 MST 2003

On 24 Mar 2003 at 0:57, David Willson wrote:

> We went to war with Iraq because they had done some seriously 'Bad
> Things' when taking over and holding Kuwait.

Examples? Are you thinking, perhaps, of the taking-babies-from
incubators story? That was propaganda cooked up by the Hill &
Knowlton PR firm. The so-called eyewitness later turned out to be the
daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the US, and admitted in
congressional hearings that she had never been to the hospital where
the incident supposedly happened.

Or were you thinking of something else? Really, David, we have
initiated a bloodbath, and you are talking about "Bad Things?" Anyone
who advocates this carnage had bloody well (no pun intended) better
know exactly what Bad Things they mean and be prepared to
substantiate them.

> argue because I don't know the future.  Then, my fifth-grade son is
> learning about lying and extra-marital affairs and oral sex and lechery
> from this man that we elected, and my friends are telling me that what
> he did is no big deal as long as the economy stays good.  And I won't
> argue because I realize that my friends and I don't have so much in
> common, perhaps, and I begin to really hate Mr. Clinton, because his
> private life ~has~ affected his execution of the office, in every way
> that mattered to me, because my children matter more to me than he does.
>
> Next, I voted against Clinton in every way remaining to me.

Fine. I understand that you had legitimate reasons to vote against
Bill Clinton (in case you're interested, I never voted for him
myself, nor did I vote for Gore in 2000). But I think if you propose
that our leadership options must be either someone like Clinton or
someone like Bush, you are grotesquely oversimplifying American
politics. In any case, Clinton is not the issue here.

> Then Saddam Hussein defied the gazillionth U.N. resolution,

Don't exaggerate. Iraq has defied something like 16 Security Council
resolutions, while Israel has defied ... 69, if I'm not mistaken. It
would be more if we didn't frequently exercise our veto power on
Israel's behalf. Moreover, *we* are now defying the UN Security
Council by having launched this war. So maybe you'd best not bring
the UN into it, either.

 > "Stick it in your eye.  Our President is doing exactly what I
elected
> him to do.  He is eliminating a threat to my children.

You're not the only one with children, David, and I haven't seen any
evidence that Iraq poses a threat to mine.

And I have to say that if you believe this will make the world safer
for Americans, you are very naïve about the causes of terrorism.
Believe it or not, we are not universally seen as being good guys,
and this military adventure could easily ignite a storm of rage among
Muslim fundamentalists. There is going to be a backlash.

> He is asserting
> in full view that no man may do whatever he pleases, at whatever cost to
> others, in direct violation of the law of the community, without fear of
> reprisal.

Oh really? What about Kim Jong Il of North Korea waving his nukes in
our face?

> He is standing up for The Right Thing."  I am tired of
> hearing from my friends what horrid deeds should be overlooked,

Again, what horrid deeds are you talking about? Exactly what horrid
deeds have I said should be overlooked?

We seem to have forgotten that bombs are not the only way to solve
problems. As far as weapons go, there was an inspections program up
until a few days ago, and it was working. If you want to talk about
human rights, yes, there's certainly an issue, but I am very
skeptical that the Bush administration really cares very much about
it. After all, these are some of the same people (e.g. Cheney and
Rumsfeld) who, after the first Gulf War, encouraged Iraq's Shiites
and Kurds to rise up against Hussein and then abandoned them.

> Who are my peace-loving friends really trying to help?  If not the Iraqi
> citizens, then who?

How about American citizens? If we quit spending so much on war, we
might be able to stop closing schools and VA hospitals.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA