[CLUE-Talk] Traitors, Cowards, Scoundrels, and Intelligent Dissenters

David Willson dlwillson at thegeek.nu
Wed Mar 26 21:18:07 MST 2003

K, this is twice now, that the lefties on this list have accused "most
conservatives" of considering them 'traitors' or 'cowards' or
'traitorous cowards' or maybe 'cowardly traitors.'  I've had it.  Put up
or shut up.  Who is 'most'?  Do you have some data that establishes that
most conservatives aren't willing to listen to leftists prattle until
the cows come home?  No, then knock off the, "You conservatives..."
crap.

This conservative groups the anti-war crowd into four groups:

Traitors:  Those that attack the country or it's military.  'Hanoi Jane'
is a perfect example, by way of her attacks directly on the morale of
our fighting forces, and her war-time fraternization with the enemy.
'Baghdad Sean' is not a Traitor, because he has never attacked his
country, or debilitated it's military.  He made his trip.  He stated his
feelings publicly, and he got out of the way when the shooting started.
Good man.  A lefty for sure, but a good man.

Cowards:  Let me start by saying that conscientious-objectors (Quakers,
for instance) are not cowards, but they are ineffective military.  They
are willing to die for the country, but not to kill for it.  If a man or
woman has a son that wants to serve, and they let their fear overrule
his sense of duty, they're cowards (and they're doing him an awful
turn).  If a man comes to the conviction that his service is needed, but
he lets his fear overrule his sense of duty, he is a coward.

Scoundrels:  Anyone that doesn't put the right-and-wrong of a thing
before his own selfish motivations.

Intelligent Dissenters:  These folks support their country and the
soldiers that fight on it's behalf, from grunts to the President, but
they loudly, publicly, and intelligently criticize the country's leaders
for their irresponsibility, carelessness, and failure to follow-through
on commitments.  These people make our country great, by holding
politicians' feet to the fire, and making them sweat.  Matt Gushee is a
prime example, and no, I'm not just kissing his ass so he'll teach
Fun-da-mentals again.

In conclusion: No, this conservative doesn't think all y'all anti-Bush
anti-war left-leaning wackos are Traitors and/or Cowards, and I don't
even think you should shut up, unless you ~are~ a Traitor, a Coward, or
a Scoundrel.  If you're just a plain-old-ordinary idiot like me, I'll
fight and die for your right to say whatever's on that tiny mind of
yours, and I'll even listen sometimes, much as it pains me to do so.

:-P