[CLUE-Talk] Charlie Daniels comments, article about Saddam's sons.

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Thu Mar 27 10:16:40 MST 2003

On Thursday, 27 March 2003 at  9:51:33 -0700, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
<clue at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 09:27, David Willson wrote:

<---snip--->

> > I understand that keeping POW's without calling them POW's is
> > questionable, but we need to be clear on the difference between inhumane
> > and questionable.
>
> I'm not sure that the conditions in Camp X-ray qualify as "humane," I'm
> not sure that they don't. I believe one of the issues is that the
> administration isn't allowing inspections of the camp.
>
> Another thing to consider: We can complain all we like about the way
> that other governments treat their POWs, there's little we can do. We
> should, however, be able to change the way our own government treats
> POWs, suspected terrorists or whatever. Not necessarily for the benefit
> of the people who are detained, but because it is the right thing to do.

I agree.  Whatever you call them, they are human beings and thus
entitled to certain basic human rights.  That's the purpose of the
Geneva Convention (for war) or due process & the Bill of Rights (here in
the US).  The Bush administration is tap-dancing around both, which has
led to a lot of speculation about how these people are being treated.

Reports like this give us some disturbing insight:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=384604

That's a story about two "enemy combatants" who were beaten to death
while under interrogation at Bagram air base north of Kabul.  There is
no excuse for that and it seriously undermines the US' credibility.

We can fight terrorism and wage war without resorting to that type of
behavior.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy